Create operating instructions for machines according to DIN EN ISO 20607
We will be happy to advise you on how to use the standard and create operating instructions for machines according to DIN EN ISO 20607 – and other required standards and laws.
DIN EN ISO 20607:2019-10 Safety of machinery – instruction handbooks – General principles for design (ISO 20607:2019); German version EN ISO 20607:2019 specifies requirements for manufacturers of machinery in the design of their instruction handbooks. . DIN EN ISO 20607 defines basic specifications for operating instructions for machines and can be a source of assistance for mechanical engineering companies.
DIN EN ISO 20607 standard as basis
Aim of the standard is to improve the safety specifications as well as readability and user-friendliness of an instruction handbook if the handbook for machines is created according to the standard. In the sense of the standard, the instruction handbook for machines according to DIN EN ISO 20607 is created efficiently and universally valid.
- The safety standard is a type-B standard as specified in DIN EN ISO 12100.
- The DIN EN ISO 20607 is designed as harmonised standard regarding the machinery directive.
- It applies in particular to manufacturers of machinery (small, medium and large enterprises).
- The standard shall provide aid for the basic requirements of drafting safety-related instructions.
- Safety specifications for machines are more precise in the standard than in the horizontal standard DIN EN IEC/IEEE 82079-1 Preparation of instructions for use – Structuring, content and presentation – Part 1: General principles and detailed requirements.
- Contents, structure, format of the instructions for use are regulated.
What does the standard offer?
- Requirements for the machine manufacturer for the preparation of safety-related parts of the instructions for use of machines
- Specifications for general requirements to the user information specified in ISO 12100:2010, 6.4
- Safety-related content, its pertinent structure and the design of the instructions for use under consideration of all life phases of the machine
What are the rules for operating instructions for machines according to DIN EN ISO 20607?
Operating instructions written according to this standard shall provide the user with all information they need.
- Operate the machine safely
- Operate machine according to its proper use.
- Applicable over the entire life cycle of the machine.
- Applicable even in case of predictable misuse.
- It should contain information about residual risks following certain basic rules.
What does not apply?
Some issues relating to technical editing are not dealt with comprehensively in the standard, for example the content structure of warnings. Here, it may prove more sustainable to deal with editorial specifications in more detail.